- How can I check out a book?
- How can I check out course reserve material?
- How long can I check out a book for?
- How do I renew my books?
- Where can I return books?
- What if I need something the library doesn’t have?
- Are there any places I can get access to a computer or internet?
- Are there any study areas that I can use?
Bring the books to the circulation desk and we can check them out for you! If you can't find what you're looking for, let us know so we can help!
Currently, course reserve material is available only through UC BEARS. Please see your course instructor for the link to material.
Undergraduate and UC Berkeley Staff can check out most monographs for 1 month and serials for 1 week. Graduate students can check out most monographs for 3 months and serials for 1 week. Please see Checkout limits and loan periods for more details.
UC Berkeley students, staff, and faculty will have their items automatically renewed when it's near the due date. You'll receive an email when it has been completed or if the item cannot be renewed anymore due to the maximum renewal limit being reached or your library account being blocked.
Books can be returned at all open libraries and drop boxes, regardless of where the books were checked out.
Most library locations have a computer students can access. In addition, UCB graduate, professional or undergraduates can apply for a laptop or hotspot through the Student Technology Equity Program (STEP), at no cost.